Centered on Queen Charlotte’s rise to prominence and power, this Bridgerton-verse prequel tells the story of how the young Queen’s marriage to King George sparked both a great love story and a societal shift, creating the world of the Ton inherited by the characters in Bridgerton.
Who Is In “Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story”?
- Golda Rosheuvel (Queen Charlotte), Adjoa Andoh (Lady Agatha Danbury), and Ruth Gemmell (Lady Violet Bridgerton) reprise their roles from Bridgerton in this series.
- India Amarteifio plays Young Queen Charlotte: Betrothed to the mysterious King of England against her will, Charlotte arrives in London only to realize she was not exactly what the royals were expecting. As she learns to navigate the palace, the ‘ton and her unpredictable husband, she grows into one of Europe’s most unforgettable monarchs.
- Michelle Fairley plays Princess Augusta: Determined to maintain her family’s power, the Dowager Princess does what it takes to secure her son’s place as monarch amidst a changing, modernizing Britain.
- Corey Mylchreest plays Young King George: Handsome, charismatic, and a bit of a mystery, George has always bowed to the restraints placed on him as the Crown. Until now. Having to share his space, and bed, with his new wife forces George to face his hidden demons head on.
- Arsema Thomas plays Young Agatha Danbury: Under the thumb of a much older husband, Agatha uses Charlotte’s arrival to find her own way into society. With keen knowledge of the once divided social scene and the intricacies of marriage, Agatha becomes a guiding light for the new Queen, all while finding her own voice and power we’ll soon recognize as Bridgerton’s iconic Lady Danbury.
First Look: “Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story”
Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story released a first-look trailer at Netflix’s TUDUM event. In the trailer, the scene is familiar- a gorgeous garden with stunning people wearing beautiful clothes. The banter is witty, and Queen Charlotte and King George play off each other well.
The first look shows the first meeting of Charlotte and George- which takes place as Charlotte attempts to climb over the garden wall to escape her arranged marriage. George finds her, and when she does not recognize him, she asks him for help to escape. He obviously refuses.
When Will “Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story” Be Released?
We don’t know. Netflix has not given a release date, but they have hinted at a Spring 2023 release. Director Tom Verica tweeted that the show has finished filming (see here), so we do know that the show is currently in post-production.
Who is Writing and Producing “Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story”?
The superstar herself, Shonda Rhimes, is the writer and showrunner. While Rhimes has many projects that she oversees, she does not write them all herself.
Betsy Beers is the executive producer, and Tom Verica is the director.